It’s that time of year again… NATIONAL BBQ WEEK!! The 16th National BBQ Week starts tomorrow and very conveniently runs immediately before the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee celebrations so there’s a real chance to brush up on your BBQ skills ahead of this historic occasion.
Traditionalists among us prefer to BBQ burgers, sausages and chicken but why not try something a little different? Vegetables and seafood are ideal for the BBQ, simply season your fish and wrap in foil or make tasty vegetable kebab skewers and brush with oil and herbs and pop on the barbi. With LG’s Fresh 0 Zone in many of their Fridge Freezers, it keeps your meats and poultry in tip-top condition that’s ready to cook directly from the Fresh O Zone drawer!
After all the fun you’ll need to make sure you have the washing up covered – leaving this to your LG Dishwasher. With large capacity and the SmartRack™ system you can wash all your BBQ utensils, serving platters and salad bowls all in one load with your crockery and glassware. LG’s innovative Steam Dual Spray programme allows you to set different water intensities for efficient washing of different dish types in the upper and lower racks. So you can relax and enjoy the rest of the evening with your friends and family while your dishwasher does all the hard work!
Here’s a couple of cool BBQ facts!
Biggest BBQ party was in 1997 in New Orleans when around 17,500 people attended a surprise 40th birthday party, drinking over 85,000 bottles of beer and gallons of rye whiskey.
Longest running BBQ ever was in Montego Bay Jamaica in 1989 lasting for seven months until fatigue and a lack of any more food, drink or money brought this mammoth grill-in to a halt.
Watch the Weather!
Now, we know that the weather isn’t as reliable as our Linear Compressor or Direct Drive technologies, but if we HAD to predict a day for alfresco eating it’s probably looking like Monday or Tuesday is your best bet to dig out the Barbie from the shed!
Here’s one of my personal fav’s, why not give it a go this week!?
Chicken Burgers With Blue Cheese Mayonnaise
500g boneless skinless chicken thighs
6 rashers streaky bacon, rind removed
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 tbsp roughly chopped tarragon
50g fresh white breadcrumbs
BLUE CHEESE MAYONNAISE
1 egg yolk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
150ml light olive oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar
75g blue cheese
1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
4 burger buns
1. Cut the chicken thighs into pieces and put into a food processor. Cut two rashers of bacon into pieces and add to the chicken; blend until coarsely chopped. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the garlic and shallot. Cook for 1–2 minutes until softened. Remove from pan, cool, and drain off excess oil.
2. Add the garlic and shallot and then the tarragon and breadcrumbs to the chicken mixture. Season and mix well. Divide into four parts. Lightly flour your hands to prevent mixture sticking then shape each part into a burger. Chill for 30 minutes.
3. For the blue cheese mayonnaise, whisk the egg yolk, mustard and plenty of seasoning in a bowl until smooth. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until the mixture is thick and smooth. Whisk in the vinegar. Crumble the blue cheese and fold into the mayonnaise. Add the chopped chives, and set aside to chill.
4. Grill the bacon for 8–10 minutes until crisp. Put aside. Brush the cooking grate with oil and barbecue the burgers over Direct Medium heat for 15 minutes, turning once, until tender.
5. Toast the burger buns on the grill. Arrange salad leave on one half of the bun. Top each with a chicken burger, a spoonful of mayonnaise and a bacon rasher. Top with the other half of the burger bun.
From Weber’s Ultimate Barbecue Book by Matthew Drennan